Monday, October 29, 2012

NaNoWriMo anyone? How about NaBloWriMo?

The Universe is screaming at me to write.  I know what I am *supposed* to write.  The problem is I need to be in the right time and place to get in the zone and actually write it.  That would mean holing myself up by the ocean for a solid month with no distractions.  Ahhhhhh.  That sounds so lovely.  

Sadly, it ain't gonna happen.  Not in the ideal way. That's for sure.

They say we all have at least one book in us.  I have a few.  They have been started but my writing practice is sporadic at best.  Cultivating a consistent, productive and enjoyable writing practice is no easy task.  Especially when you work full time and have children.  Just when you get into the meat of it, there is somewhere to go, someone needing mama or something to do.  The only other option is forsaking sleep.  I did that for long enough parenting twins.  I'm still trying to catch up!   

There are many tools out there that can help people get started and encourage them to continue.  I plan to attempt to use a few to kick my literary ass.

One I've learned about is NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month.  http://www.nanowrimo.org/
The challenge is to write an entire novel in a month. I know people who have done this! The Web site has tools to facilitate your creative endeavor and peer support as well.  I hear it's a great help and even fun.  You need only the desire and the time.  I have but one of those things.  Anyone else out there taking the challenge?  Or perhaps has in the past?  Tell me about it!

There is also a great writing tool called Scrivener http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php  I played with the beta a few years back and just bought it for keeps.  I've not started with it yet, but am looking forward to doing so in the near future.  Check it out if you write for any medium.  It's fantastic. 

Since I have not the time to write a novel, I am not participating in NaNoWriMo, although it sure is fun to say!  I'd love to take the challenge some day.  Instead, I plan to attempt to have my own "KimBloWriMo"  or a generic "NaBloWriMo" (National Blog Writing Month).  I am going to challenge myself to write a blog entry every day for the entire month of November.  My ultimate goal is to cultivate a writing practice.  To establish a pattern.  To get my creative juices flowing.  It won't be my book in blog posts, however I do hope it will set the precedent for me to tackle it sooner rather than later.  It will, instead, probably be random thoughts and an interesting look into the workings of my heart and head on a daily basis instead of on a random ranty sort of basis.  The variety of topics will be vast.  It will also be an experiment of sorts.  I'll let you know how it goes at the end of November.  



No comments:

Post a Comment